Somebody’s doing a little cooking now!
I haven’t shown too many lunch/dinner recipes because to be honest they have been the same for the past 6 months. Not sure if you knew, but Joe has diabetes. He is taking a new insulin and he must measure the amount of carbs that he eats and then take his shot according to the measurements. Joe steers clear of pasta, rice, pizza and bread in almost every way, shape and form. Does that mean I have to as well? No, but sometimes it is nice to be simple with one meal. I went to the store today and decided I needed to spruce things up a bit. This is what I came up with…
I was on the look out for low carb grains (or lower than your traditional pasta) and I picked up a bag of lentils and another of barley. Right next to my findings was a bag of something else even more interesting: green split peas. Hmmm, I thought to myself, I could use these as a replacement for pasta!
I came home and got to chopping. If you have any stress or anxiety today, let me tell you the best way to get rid of it is by taking it out on the cutting board. Ahh, feels good.
Summer Green Split Pea Dish (serves two)
½ cup green split peas
½ red pepper, chopped
½ cucumber, chopped
¼ small red onion, chopped
1 T goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 c reduced balsamic —> will reduce to 1/4 c (place on the stove, medium heat, burn off vinegar until balsamic thickens)
1 T of olive oil
Salt, pepper to taste
- Rinse peas in colander making sure they are clean.
- Simmer peas according to package for 30 minutes.
- As peas are simmering, pour balsamic into sauté pan and simmer down until balsamic thickens (set aside).
- Chop veggies into small pieces.
- When peas are soft to your liking, dispose of excess water.
- Place in large bowl and combine peas, pepper, cucumber, onion together with olive oil.
- Dish out onto 2 plates.
- Scatter goat cheese on top.
- Finally, drizzle balsamic glaze and ENJOY!
If you have any low carb recipes you would like to share, please please send them my way! I will love you for-ever, ever.