It is Saturday and I declare Saturdays as the big breakfast day. If you don’t have time to make a big breakfast during the week, now is your day. Let it happen.
This recipe I found in a book called, “Eat Carbs, Lose Weight,” which I purchased for a major steal, 50 cents, at Goodwill!
French Toast Souffle with Cream Cheese Sauce
- 2/3 c almond milk
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 slices Italian bread
- 2 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons powdered sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (for cream cheese sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (recipe says maple extract)
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray 7 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat almond milk, egg yolk, vanilla and cinnamon together until combined.
- Add bread to mixture and distribute liquid mixture on bread. Let soak for 5 minutes.
- In separate bowl, mix together 2 egg whites and salt with electric mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add 2 teaspoons powdered sugar and wait for peaks to form.
- Fold into bread mixture.
- Pour into souffle dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- As souffle is baking, mix together with whisk, cream cheese, almond milk, almond extract and remaining 1 teaspoon powdered sugar.
- When souffle is done, add a spoonful of cream cheese sauce to each serving.