Take a moment to look at the leaves changing. A new season is here, and I love fall, a lot. Yesterday and last night were quite busy for us. After work, we had my aunt’s viewing in the evening. Many friends and family attended and peace and love filled the room and all around (Thanks again girls for coming). I whipped up a dish of lentils and veggies because I needed something quick to chow down on before the viewing.
Adapted from: Woman’s Day Magazine
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serving: 2 servings as side dish
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/4 of chopped onion
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped escarole
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (used for sauteing)
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp oil (used for dressing)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- Simmer lentils according to package for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place chopped garlic in pan and let soften.
- Add other chopped vegetables in pan and let brown.
- Once vegetables turn translucent, add vegetable stock to help simmer.
- As vegetables are simmering, whisk together last 5 ingredients in small bowl creating light dressing (vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, salt & pepper).
- When lentils are done, drain water and mix with vegetables. Pour dressing over dish.
*Think about where you are in life today. Remember, if you aren’t where you want to be right now, whether it be quitting a bad habit, running a desired amount of miles, getting over a death, changing careers, or trying to lose weight, know that you will be there soon. It might not be today, might not be tomorrow, but it will come. Have faith.