The Oley Valley 10 M was on Sunday, November 6th. Yesterday was gorgeous and perfect weather for running. I wasn’t as prepared for this run as I have been for other long distance races. I have been exercising like I normally do, but haven’t done many long runs recently. I have not run more than 5 or 6 miles and that is a problem. Before a 10 mile run, I think a 7 or 8 mile run is definitely needed. Well, I didn’t do that and I wouldn’t suggest it to other runners out there.
I went into the run thinking, “Have a good time!” and I felt amazing as I crossed the finish line. I finished in 1 hour 27 minutes and was completely satisfied with that time. Here are some questions I thought about as I was running that I would love to ask all you runners out there:
- Do you blow snot rockets as you run? I do not, I do something just as disgusting and wipe the snot on my sleeve. I ALWAYS forget to bring tissues.
- If you have to pee, will you go on the side of the road? Yes, I have done this. I did the Army 10 Miler in Washington, DC a few years back and there was no port-a-potty in sight. I had to go so bad that I went behind a bush and popped a squat. There were MEN doing the same thing and they cheered me on.
- Do you walk or run through the water stations? For some reason, I have to continue running as I grab the water at the fueling stations. I might lose a fraction of a second by walking through them, but I can’t do it!
- If you are consistently running near someone, do you feel like you have to beat them? I do! I was next to a 51-year-old woman for most of the run, and I thought to myself, “I have to beat her!” I have done this in many races.
- Do you cheer on others as you are running? The first place finishers were on their 9th mile as I was on my 7th. Crazy! Anyway, as I saw them rounding the corner, I gave a big cheer for each of them. Better you than me! No, honestly I think fast runners are amazing. I love cheering on others.