We received a crock pot as a wedding gift and I want to use it all winter long. There is something about placing ingredients into a big vat, turning on the heat, going to work and coming home to a finished product. I love it! Tonight’s dinner on the menu: eggplant & chicpea stew. The stew will be placed over a grain of choice, not sure what that will be, maybe quinoa.
Adapted from Eating Well
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried chic peas (boiled for 2 minutes, covered and soaked over night)
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and diced
- 1 package white mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp parsley
- Place all ingredients, mixed well, in crock pot on low setting for 8 hours.
- When chic peas are softened, stew is ready!
- Serve over rice, quinoa, bed of sautéed spinach