I love creamed spinach. I must admit, I buy it out of the small box in the frozen section of the grocery store. I usually skip over reading the ingredients because I really love it so much. Sometimes a few hard to pronounce ingredients won’t hurt you every once in a while.
What would be even better is making it yourself and knowing what was going into your body!
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1/2 cup or more vegetable stock (enough to cover greens)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup light cream
- *1/2 tsp to 1 tsp flour (optional)
- Remove stem from greens ( both on end of greens and in center of greens), chop into small pieces.
- In saute pan on medium heat, combine minced garlic, greens and stock together. Simmer 10 minutes or until wilted and liquid is absorbed.
- Reduce heat to low, slowly pour cream over greens. Stir frequently until cream thickens. This will take a few minutes, be patient!
*Add flour to mixture if too thin and mixture doesn’t thicken