You are getting a double dose of leafy green recipes this week. Lucky you! I am trying to eat those leafy greens as much as possible: kale, collard greens, swiss chard, spinach etc. I love spinach but there is something about the others that get me. They need to be doctored up because just steaming them or sauteing them is not enough for me. I need that cream or other added ingredient to discuss the bitterness of the greens on my palate. I thought of the magical ingredient last night…cheese!
Cheesy Green Leaf Casserole
- 1 bunch collard greens, kale or swiss chard
- 1 large clove minced garlic
- 1/2 8 ounce container mascarpone cheese (Italian sweet cream cheese)
- 1/2 of 8 ounce block mozzarella cheese
- 1 leek, chopped (light green and white parts only)
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 Tbsp flour or less
- Remove stems from collard greens and rib in center of leaf. Chop into small pieces.
- Place in pan with enough water to cover greens, add minced garlic and leeks. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes or until wilted.
- In another pan, on medium heat combine stock, cream and flour (do flour in small increments). Allow mixture to thicken stirring constantly.
- Transfer 1/2 of greens to casserole dish. Add mascarpone cheese dropping teaspoon size dollops into dish.
- Pour cream mixture over greens and mascarpone cheese.
- Add rest of greens. Top with shredded mozzarella and sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake 375 for 20 minutes. Turn up to 450 for 5 more minutes to brown on top.