If you have been on pinterest in the last few months, I am sure you have seen the potatoes that looked almost crushed. Something like this…
They come from The Pioneer Woman and I have been itching to make them. I like potatoes, but with Joe and his diabetes, we don’t eat them too often because of his carbohydrate intake. Well, I made these crushed potatoes as a side dish to go along with some fish and decided to also make a sauce to top off the potatoes and fish. I had a bag of spinach that was looking questionable and figured it needed to be used before going to the wayside. I remembered making the zucchini soup a week ago and wanted to somewhat use that as the reference for my sauce. I placed all the magic ingredients into the blender and yes something magical was created. I like how when you put things into the food processor/blend you have to sometimes cross your fingers because you never know what you are going to get. I have had it before where I place all these yummy ingredients into the food processor, only to realize I don’t know what the heck came out of it after being blended together? Read on for the recipe…
Crushed Potatoes with Drizzled Zucchini & Spinach Sauce
Serving: 6 side dishes
- 6 small/medium red skinned potatoes
- 2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 package – 6 oz spinach
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- dash of paprika, oregano/parsley, nutritional yeast (optional), salt and pepper
- In large pot, boil potatoes (skin on) until soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Place softened potatoes on greased cookie sheet and with fork, smash in center – causing potatoes to split apart.
- Drizzle with olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown at 375F.
- In saute pan, place zucchini, vegetable broth, garlic and shallots on medium heat, cook until tender 10 minutes.
- Add spinach to pan and allow to wilt down.
- In blender place zucchini mixture, tahini and seasonings.
- Mix together until well combined.
- Drizzle over potatoes.