If you are looking for a light and refreshing summer salad, you have come to the right place.
I found this recipe in the new issue of Cooking Light and of course adapted it a bit. The mixture of the tomato, avocado, corn and buttermilk is something quite distinct. I picked up a pint of buttermilk at the farmer’s market this past weekend knowing I was going to create this recipe. It is so great to find a recipe that incorporates many of the things you love the most. Read on for the recipe…
Anyone else have a love for avocado? What is your favorite dish to use it in?
Tomato & Avocado Buttermilk Stacks
adapted from Cooking Light
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 Tbsp or less olive oil
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled
- 1 Tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp green onion
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt, pepper to taste
- In saute pan, brown corn on medium heat in oil until lightly golden.
- Cut tomatoes crosswise, creating 3 to 4 thick slices.
- Peel avocado and cut lengthwise into 4 long strips.
- In bowl, mix together chives through vinegar with whisk.
- Layer salad, starting with tomato, avocado, corn and repeat creating a stack.
- Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle salt and pepper.