I made quiche a few weeks ago and forgive me that I used a refrigerated pie crust. Yes, I know that’s not the best way to make quiche, for homemade pie crust would be much better, but I just didn’t have the time. I had to do a little “Sandra Lee” in order to make sure the quiche was ready to go for when Joe got home from work. When he walks in the door, if dinner isn’t almost ready to be served, he will eat the kitchen sink – pretty much. He is starving when he comes home and I mean that. He is very nice about it and luckily isn’t like the cookie monster or anything but he will pull any food out of the refrigerator or pantry that he can get his little paws on and he will devour it. Well, because I am a good wife and almost always have dinner on the table, that meant refrigerated pie crust. Since, I had two pie crusts, I used one for the quiche and the other one for this dinner! Read on theres more…
Kale & Tomato Tart
- 1 package refrigerated pie dough
- 3/4 cup fontina cheese
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 on-the-vine tomatoes, sliced and quartered
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1/2 cup kale, torn in small pieces
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 3 eggs
- fresh basil as garnish
- Spray 9 inch pan with cooking spray and unroll pie dough into pan, pressing into corners and up sides.
- Sprinkle with fontina cheese, shallots, 1/2 of tomato slices.
- Cover with flour, cornmeal and kale and thyme.
- In bowl, mix together milk and eggs.
- Pour into pan covering other ingredients.
- Place remaining tomato slices on top.
- Bake 350F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with basil.