Yes, I did it again. I ate soup in the summer. I made this zucchini and corn soup back in July and I was craving soup again, and thought why not? I love soup. Love, love, love it. I don’t mind the temperature being hot and it being hot outside. That just means you might have to wipe some sweat from your brow while eating it. A few drops of sweat, while eating, never killed anyone! If you think I’m crazy, just try it for yourself. Soup all year round is a great thing, in my opinion! I even had a reader from China comment on eating soup in the summer, and say it is recommended to not eat anything really cold things in the summertime, in order to not shock your system. Their thought process goes along with mine quite well! Except, what about eating ice cream? Dang…
What’s your idea on soup and the summer?
Maryland Crab & Shrimp Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter – optional
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 – 15 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup okra
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth (reduced sodium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 – 8 oz container fresh crab meat
- 8 ounces frozen shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into cubes
- In large stock pot, or Dutch oven, place olive oil, onion, carrots and celery at the bottom on medium heat. Let soften 5 to 7 minutes, add 1 Tbsp of butter as needed.
- Add Old Bay seasoning, dried basil and bay leaves. Mix together.
- Add diced tomatoes and juice, corn, okra, broth and water. Mix together.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add crab meat and frozen shrimp.
- Let cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Remove bay leaves (if you can find them!)
- ENJOY with fresh basil!
Some of your ingredients!
Dutch oven with the beginning ingredients.