Well, I made an Italian meal all from scratch this past week and it felt really, really good. I even made the sauce and Joe liked it! What an accomplishment, especially since his parents own an Italian restaurant. My sauce must have really been something to write home about. What I think I was most proud of, was the vegan meatballs! Their appearance is just like a regular ol’ meat-ball! The taste was pretty slammin’, too. I found this recipe on the Whole Foods Website and adapted it a bit to my liking and what I had on hand.
Adapated from Whole Foods
Makes: 12 medium meatballs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup green onion (both green and white parts)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans
- 2 tsp dried basil & oregano
- 1 cup cooked bulgur (any grain would work)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- In large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add green onions, garlic and let cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and spinach and let wilt down.
- In food processor, pulse cashews until coarse meal is created.
- Add mushroom/spinach mixture and half of black beans to food processor.
- Pulse until just combined.
- Transfer to large bowl, mix in remaining beans, spices, cooked bulgur and bread crumbs.
- With hands, create medium sized meatballs and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Cook for 20 minutes on 350F, flip and cook another 20 to 30 minutes or until crisp on the outside.
- ENJOY with homemade pasta!