I had a craving for Mexican once we got home from our Stone Harbor beach trip. The one night while we were at the beach, we were thinking of hitting up a local place for Mexican, but changed our minds. I knew something Mexican-esque was just what I needed to make as soon as we got home. I also knew I needed something that didn’t consist of lots of unhealthy ingredients. At the beach, it’s really easy to snack more, drink more and have dessert more – like every night. I mean, it’s vacation, right? My body definitely is feeling the aftermath of Stone Harbor 2012. Back on the band wagon we go…
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 4 peppers (yellow, orange, red)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 – 16 oz package ground turkey (optional, if not vegetarian)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 can rinsed drained black beans
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 1 medium-sized tomato, diced
- 1 – 8 ounce package Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced – as topping
- sour cream – as topping
- salsa – as topping
- Cut peppers in half and remove stems and membranes.
- Bake 350F for 10 minutes or until peppers begin to soften.
- In saute pan, on medium heat add olive oil, diced onion and ground turkey cooking until pink disappears.
- Add taco seasoning and cook as directed on package.
- In medium bowl, mix together cooked rice, black beans, corn, tomato.
- Add turkey meat to bowl and mix well.
- Stuff peppers with turkey/rice mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of peppers.
- Bake 350F for 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- ENJOY with avocado, sour cream and salsa!