What I like most about a loaf cake is the denseness of it. Loaf cakes always seem so hearty. They are nice to enjoy for breakfast, especially when they aren’t super sweet. Without a lot of extra added sugar, you can eat a piece of loaf cake and not be bouncing off the walls at 7am from a sugar rush! Instead there’s a nice flavor of lemon to get your taste buds movin’ in the mornin’! This loaf cake is perfect for the early AM.
What’s your favorite loaf cake?
Lemon & Chia Seed Loaf Cake
Adapted from Southern Living
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp applesauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (plain will work, too)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (squeezed from 1 – 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan.
- In mixer, beat together butter and apple sauce.
- Add sugar and continue mixing.
- Add eggs and beat until fluffy.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, salt and soda.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture alternating with yogurt.
- Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and chia seeds.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes or until brown and center is done.
- Allow to cool and ENJOY!!