I often see recipes for fried tomatoes but I usually stop dead in my tracks. I really, really want to make them but just thinking about the word fried immediately makes my pants get tight. It’s crazy, I know. I have steered away from the fried green tomatoes and moved on to a lighter version of these recipes with the same great taste. These crispy tomatoes were the perfect side dish to some leftover Italian food we had from the weekend. It seems to be an Italian fest over here in our household from the Italian Quinoa Bites we had last week to The Eggplant Veggie Stacks and now these…
Crispy Panko Crusted Tomatoes
Serving: Side dish for 2
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (did one yellow and one red)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- dash of dried basil, salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil for pan
- Few fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Remove stems from tomatoes and slice into rounds.
- Dip tomato rounds into whisked egg.
- In small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, cheese, minced garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- Dip tomatoes into bread crumb mixture coating evenly.
- In skillet, on medium, heat olive oil.
- Place coated tomatoes into skillet and allow to brown on either side, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- ENJOY as a side dish!