I was a little worried about making this cake because I had, let me repeat, had an amazing chocolate cake recipe. It was one of those recipes that was written on an old school recipe card that was weathered around the edges and had someone’s grandmother’s handwriting on it. Well, the card is no where to be found. Sorry mom, Marion’s chocolate cake recipe is missing in action. Don’t get mad, I found a good replacement recipe that called for boiling water as well. That’s the secret ingredient to moist chocolate cake: boiling water. A coworker of mine helped me to find “the best chocolate cake recipe” that calls for boiling water and good ol’ Hershey’s pulled through. This recipe requires one bowl, hardly any dishes for your husband or boyfriend to clean up. Perfect! So for the next birthday party you go to, volunteer to make the cake…
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Layered Cake
Recipe for cake adapted from Hershey’s
Recipe for frosting adapted from Mrs. Crass
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water (very important part)
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 2 – 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar (Original recipe calls for 3 cups! – Could add more for additional sweetness)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 Tbsp milk to create desired consistency
Add-ons for Cake Topping:
- Oreos (crushed)
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Dark chocolate chips
Directions for Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 – 9 inch round cake pans.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, mix together dry ingredients up to salt.
- Add eggs through vanilla extract and beat together on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water, which will make the batter thin.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before icing.
Directions for Icing:
- In bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add 1 Tbsp milk at a time, as needed, to create desired consistency.
- For sweeter icing, add more powdered sugar.