I was introduced to this perfect fall soup from my girlfriend, Maisie, who was introduced to it through her mom. I’m assuming her mom was introduced to it through Rachel Ray and the Food Network. It’s not one of those generation to generation recipes that is passed down along the family but it is tasty enough to pass it on to anyone you know who likes soup!
This creamy pumpkin soup is a-w-e-s-o-m-e, yes do a little cheer while making or eating this soup! This soup is perfect for someone who has limited time to make dinner and wants it done lick-ity split. It’s also perfect for anyone who loves eating pumpkin in the fall. I do, I do!
Please tell me what you are making these days that involves pumpkin?
Tell me I’m not the only food blogger out there bangin’ out recipe after recipe that has pumpkin and butternut squash in it…
Pumpkin & Black Bean Soup
Adapted from Food Network – Rachel Ray
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small cooking onion, diced
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can all natural diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 – 15 oz cans 100% pumpkin
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 Tbsp curry (maybe a pinch more)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- dash of garlic powder, nutmeg and pepper
- green onions or chives, chopped – as a garnish – optional
- In Dutch oven, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add diced onions and cook 3 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, beans and pumpkin, stir well bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add light cream, stirring well.
- Add seasonings and let simmer for 15 minutes for flavors to peak.
- ENJOY with a garnish of green onions or chives.