I am a “mid” snacker. That means either mid-morning or mid-afternoon, I need a snack. One of the snacks I love to take to work is cottage cheese with apple butter. The apple butter I typically use, I pick up at the Farmer’s Market and it has 3 ingredients. Yes, 3. They are: apples (duh), apple cider and cinnamon. I figured, since the listing was so short and the jar costs about 3.50, it was a great bang for my buck. Then, I started to think about this apple butter a bit more. I can make this is what came to my mind!
Have you ever bought something for a while and then finally realized how easy it was to make and you take it on yourself?
Do you need a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack?
What’s your favorite go-to snack?
Homemade Apple Butter
Makes a small 8 ounce batch
- 6 apples (different flavors: gala, pink lady, golden delicious)
- 4 Tbsp apple cider, divided
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Core apples using an apple cutter or using a knife into slices.
- Place in crock pot with 2 Tbsp apple cider on low heat for 3 hours.
- Remove apples from crock pot with spoon and place in blender.
- Add 1 Tbsp at a time of apple cider and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return apple “sauce” to crock pot and cook 1 more hour on low heat with lid off (lid has condensation on it).
- Stir in cinnamon.
- Allow sauce to thicken to apple butter – it will also get darker.
- ENJOY with cottage cheese, spread on toast, or on top of oatmeal!