If you are a low carb (most times) family as we are, these BLT Cups are the perfect alternative to using slices of sandwich bread for your next crispy, crunchy bacon, lettuce and tomato! The base of the “sandwich” is a hollowed out tomato! Once you have carefully hollowed out your tomato and you take the “guts” out, you are able to stuff the tomato deep with your goodies: lettuce, bacon, a few cubes of multi-grain bread and a dollop of cream sauce, which is substituted for mayo, on top! Oh, I forgot…there is one thing that needs to be done the night before. If you are making the cream sauce to go on top of the BLT cups, you will need to soak raw cashews overnight. You can do this the night before and honestly just means putting some cashews in a bowl covered in water. It’s as simple as that. Overall, this meal is really, really easy and would be the perfect meal for your family on a busy school night.
What’s your go-to quick weeknight meal?
I love making crock pot dinners during the week, too! I’m thinking about doing crock pot chili one day this week, so stay tuned!
Now back to the BLT Cups…
Serving Size: 4 servings
Ingredients for BLT Cups:
- 4 large tomatoes, stems & insides removed
- 10 pieces of bacon, chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped (romaine would work, too)
- Multi-grain baguette bread, cut into cubes
Ingredients for Cream Sauce (in place of mayonnaise):
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in enough water to cover them overnight
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup clean water
- dash of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder
- few Tbsp chopped chives
- Soak raw cashews overnight or until very soft (do this as prep the night before).
- Place bacon in hot skillet and cook according to directions, removing when done and placing on paper towel to soak up grease.
- Chop iceberg lettuce until almost shredded.
- Chop bacon into small pieces.
- Chop multi-grain bread into small cubes creating 2 cups worth.
- Mix in a medium-sized bowl, lettuce, bacon and bread.
- Fill hollowed out tomatoes with bacon, lettuce, bread mixture.
- Meanwhile in blender place softened cashews, 1/2 cup clean water, (use more as needed to gain creamy consistency) salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and combine until soft and creamy – takes a few minutes to breakdown.
- Stir about 1 Tbsp chopped chives into creamy cashew mixture.
- Put dollop of creamy cashew mixture on top of cups with a sprinkle of extra chives.