I have another soup recipe to share with you guys! Another one that is really, really easy and the only thing that is quote on quote difficult, is finding the time to let the chicken cook. That’s it! After the chicken is cooked and the broth is created, you are ready to go! The soup has a bit of a twist from traditional chicken noodle soup or the chicken quinoa soup that I made a few weeks back because I used tortellini! I have a little liking for tortellini and honestly, it’s been a while since I have had it because we don’t eat too many refined carbohydrates in this house. But for this recipe, anyone can make an exception or just eat the tortellini in moderation!
What’s one food that you seem to be more cautious of as far as your intake goes?
Of course, Joe’s is carbohydrates, but mine is definitely sugar! We had a birthday at work yesterday and during our team meeting we had the most delicious and moist cake from the Works. It was so good and my piece was so big and after licking the plate clean, my stomach actually hurt. This has happened before and I hope I learn my lesson, “A few bites will do you!” Probably not though, because this has happened in the past, whoops! Well this soup was a nice precursor to my belly ache and makes perfect leftovers for any day or night of the week…
Lightly Creamed Chicken Tortellini Soup
*Make broth and chicken for this recipe just like the directions from Homemade Chicken Quinoa Soup*
Recipe adapted from: Eat, Live, Run
Ingredients for the Soup (once you have cooked the chicken and made the broth):
- 1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- about 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- homemade broth
- 2 1/2 cups frozen tortellini
- 1 cup fresh kale, torn into small pieces (ribs and stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp light cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- In Dutch oven, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour homemade broth (per the recipe above) into the pot.
- Cook on medium heat another 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add shredded chicken, tortellini and kale.
- Cook another 7 to 10 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Add light cream into pot and stir well.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper and serve with some parmesan cheese.