If you are thinking about a last minute side dish for this Thanksgiving, I have one for you! Since most Thanksgiving dinners are filled with turkey – obviously – why not throw a little seafood into the mix? Some seafood mixed with some mac n’ cheese, now we are talking! I love mac n’ cheese and the last time I made it was when I made butternut squash mac n’ cheese. That mac n’ cheese recipe was sweet and savory where this mac n’ cheese is more just savory. It combines two of my loves besides Joe, of course, – crab and cheese. Yum, Yum! I can put back some hot, cheesy crab dip with tortillas chips or bits of bread. Instead of the dip, I went adventuresome and went for the mac n’ cheese.
Not only do I love crab and cheese, I also love strawberries and spinach.. .curry and butternut squash, and I’m sure there are many, many more!
What two ingredients combined together do you love in a dish?
White Cheddar Crab Mac n’ Cheese
Recipe adapted from Maisie
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 – 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese block, shredded (I used white cheddar)
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese (used 1/2 of an 8 ounce container)
- dash of garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes
- 1 – 8 oz can fresh crab meat (shells removed)
- 1/2 box (16 oz) whole wheat pasta shells, cooked according to package
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (could use seasoned, panko)
- salt and pepper to taste
*I used a 1/2 box – 8 oz of pasta shells to have the mac n’ cheese be creamier and cheesier. If you like it a bit more solid and dense and not as cheesy, definitely use more than 1/2 a box*
- Melt butter in large sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add onion and let cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour to create paste like consistency.
- Slowly add milk into pan, stirring constantly to thicken – this will take a few minutes.
- Once thick, add shredded cheddar cheese and stir well to combine.
- Add mascarpone cheese, garlic/onion powder, red pepper flakes and mix together.
- Add cooked pasta and crab meat to cheese mixture and coat evenly.
- Pour mac n’ cheese into 8 or 9 inch square baking dish and sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.