Since the weather is quite chilly here, with some snow on the ground, soup is the perfect thing to be eating! Although, I have been known to cook up some soup in the summer time, what? what? – yup! – Soup all year round is good for the soul. So, when I said to Joe I was going to be making this soup, he asked if this soup was similar tasting to fajitas? I never really thought of it that way, but yeah this soup does taste like chicken fajitas! I have always ordered chicken tortilla soup when we go out to dinner, but never made it at home. I seem to say that a lot. Well, I started my search on google for the perfect recipe and The Pioneer Woman’s blog popped up. I did one of those under your breath “yesss!” because I knew this recipe would be a good one. I was definitely right! The PW will never steer you wrong…
Do you like chicken tortilla soup?
What’s your favorite soup to make?
How about your favorite soup to order out?
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Ingredients for Chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (ones of a decent size)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil
- sprinkle of cumin, chili powder, garlic salt
Ingredients for Soup:
- cooked, shredded chicken from above
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 14 oz can Rotel (tomatoes with green chilies)
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 heaping Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 – 15 oz can northern white beans, rinsed/drained (black beans would work)
- 4 to 5 corn tortillas cut into strips
- Cut chicken breast in half lengthwise creating 4 pieces of chicken. Drizzle olive oil onto chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle a dash of cumin, chili powder and garlic salt on top of chicken.
- Bake 350F for 15 minutes or until no longer pink. Shred cooked chicken with two forks and set aside.
- In Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium adding yellow pepper, diced onion and garlic. Stir in spices and cook until veggies are softened – 5 minutes.
- Add Rotel, chicken stock, hot water, tomato paste, beans and shredded chicken bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes, taste soup and add more spices to your liking and if needed.
- When ready to eat, bake corn tortilla strips at 350F for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle on top of soup: corn tortillas strips, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, diced onion.