This cake is really something else. So much that Joe didn’t even realize there was lemon in it at first. He is someone who says he doesn’t really like lemon! Gotcha, jokes on you yet again, dude! This cake I found as I was pinning away on pinterest a few weeks ago. I kept saying, I’m going to make this, I’m going to make this, but then never got around to it. I think it was for the fear that Joe and I would eat the whole thing in one weekend…
Do you tend to not make things just because you know they won’t stand a chance in your house for more than 5 minutes?
Yeah, that’s kinda what happened with this breakfast cake.
I love how the word breakfast in front of cake makes you feel ok about eating cake for breakfast!
These little blue gems helped as well…It helped that they were buy one get one at the store this weekend, too!
Lemony Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Adapted from Buns in My Oven
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Sucanat (may use sugar, also if desired increase to 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 – 2 tsp Sucanat for sprinkling on top
- In mixing bowl, cream together with electric mixer, butter, lemon zest and Sucanat.
- Add egg, vanilla, and lemon juice mixing well.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour to butter/sugar bowl alternating with buttermilk (did this 3 times – flour, mix, buttermilk, mix, etc).
- Fold blueberries into batter gently.
- Pour batter into greased 9 inch square pan.
- Sprinkle additional Sucanat on top and bake 350F for 30 to 35 minutes.