I envisioned making this dinner using zucchini, but for some reason I thought I had some, but I was wrong! The next thing that came to mind was the eggplant that was sitting on the refrigerator shelf for the last week. It was a must that I used it or it would be seeing the trashcan very shortly. The eggplants were perfect boats to hold the spinach and sausage. Let’s not forget the sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and chopped walnuts that added the finishing touches to this dinner. The eggplant boats would be easy to use as the base and layer with whatever ingredients you like. I could see using beans, grains, veggies, cheese. Next time around, I will try some other combinations and maybe even use zucchini if I have it! I will let you know if it was just as good as this recipe…
Spinach & Sausage Eggplant Flats
Serving: 2 entree servings (makes about 8 eggplant flats)
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups (packed tightly) fresh spinach
- 3 organic chicken sausage links (used Nature’s Promise Chicken Apple sausage)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cut stem off eggplant and then cut in half lengthwise. Continue cutting each half lengthwise (no more than 1/4″ thick) into roughly 8 eggplant flat pieces, and place on greased cookie sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil and bake in oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until softened.
- In sauté pan, on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and heat until swirls around pan easily.
- Add garlic and spinach and cook until wilted. Put aside once cooked.
- Add sausage to same saute pan with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and cook until no longer pink about 10 to 12 minutes (I used lid and reduced heat to medium low with a splash of water). Once cooked, chop into small circular pieces and set aside.
- On each eggplant, place some wilted spinach, a few pieces of sausage, a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and chopped walnuts.
- Place back in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and walnuts are toasted.